All right you guys, there is something I need to confess to you – I hate the dining hall at UBC. The salad bar is exorbitantly expensive, and everything else available is full of processed chemicals, nitrates, and (most definitely GMO) soy. NOT. OKAY.
I am most certainly not a typical college student in the sense that I refuse to live off of ramen noodles and free pizza. I prioritize my health, which has been turning out to require a lot of creativity.
College is an extremely stressful time! You would think that universities would realize this, and take into consideration the huge effect nutrition has on overall well-being. Alas, sadly, that is not the case. I haven’t been letting my health suffer, though! I have just become a professional dorm-style eater. I have actually come up with several things that are not the typical ‘cereal, sandwiches, etc.’ options, so I thought that it might be helpful to some other dorm-dwellers to share them! They can also be helpful in situations where you have limited access to a kitchen – moving, travelling, hotel rooms, etc.
There are a ton of excellent dorm room snacking ideas out there – nut butter, oatmeal, fresh fruit, nuts/seeds, the list truly does seem endless! I’m not listing those for you today though – check them out here!
Unique / Whole Food Ideas for College Dorms
1. Avocados: If you can find them on sale (I just got mine 2/$3 at Whole Foods!), these are perfect to stash away. I like to have half at one meal and half at the next, so that I can avoid them getting too brown while also not overdosing on delicious avo. Although, can you really overdose on ago? Debatable.
2. Toast: This one sounds typical, but it can switch up so many of your go-to meals! Turn sandwiches into open-faced toasties, make grilled cheese by popping a toasted sandwich into the microwave, and cut your toast up into strips for instant dipping vehicles!
3. Sweet Potatoes: Believe it or not, you can cook them in the microwave! Just remember to slice it lengthwise and poke holes in it first – the fire alarm went off in my building because apparently that is not common knowledge.
4. VerMints: I am currently on day EIGHT of being completely gum-free! A girl has still gotta have distractions while studying, though, so enter: Vermints! They are 100% organic and have zero sketchy ingredients. (And no, I am not cool enough to get paid to say that.)
And you need to do something with all that delicious food! These are some of the things that I have been loving in my quest to avoid said horrific dining hall.
Dorm Room Recipes
1. Mug cakes. Specifically Amanda’s Double Chocolate Mug Cake – my one true love. I swear to you, I have not tried any other mug cake that even remotely compares to this one. Rich, dense, creamy, and 100% healthy. All I need in life.
2. Grill-less Grilled Cheese. When I’m deprived of my panini press, do NOT expect me to abstain from grilled sandwiches entirely. Enter: ghetto grilled cheese using the toaster and the microwave.
3. Microwave Pumpkin Creations. Specifically, this cookie and oatmeal from Fannetastic Food! I am in love with all the pumpkin things, all the time. (not since August or anything…)
I am obsessed with banana + blueberries + PB. Pumpkin takes it over the edge!
4. Peanut Butter + Apple Muesli Bowl. Alternatively titled, The Breakfast Emma Ate Every Day for Two Years and Counting. But that is an obscenely long title so we will stick with the first one. 😉 This recipe is exactly what it sounds like, and hardly a recipe! Dice an apple, then mix it into a bowl of greek yogurt. Top with muesli and peanut butter. DONE. Beyond delicious, fast, filling, and all easily kept in a dorm room! I’m expecting to carry on the five year streak.
Do you have any kitchen-free food/recipe suggestions?
Have you ever lived in a dorm? What did you do about food?