……HAPPY NEW YEAR!
So, I know I’m a little (read: 32 hours) late on this front, but – 2014! Yesterday was spent at an UNBELIEVABLE brunch, and then an unbelievable amount of time on the couch. Perfect for the last few days of break. 🙂 The restaurant we were at was FAR too nice to whip out my phone and snap some pics, so you’ll just have to trust me on the fact that the
- Fruit salad in a martini glass
- Eggs florentine
- Miniature dessert trio of cheesecake, creme brulee and strawberry tart
were beyond words. Oh, and so was the (sip of) mimosa. 😉
I definitely did just talk about both sides of resolutions – good and bad. In my opinion, whether you set them or not is up to you and should have no bearing on anyone else. That being said, I want to set goals for the new year. Not resolutions, because those feel like an attempt to change (again, not necessarily a bad thing), but specific things that I want to accomplish. I have always made superficial resolutions like “No junk food” or “Exercise regularly”, which then fizzled within a couple of weeks (I know). So, I’m finally catching on to what does (and doesn’t) work for me, and am really going to try hard to make 2014 different. It sounds cliche, I know, but 2014 needs to be MY YEAR. So, moving on, this is what I want to accomplish this year!
- Run a half marathon (under two hours): The time is in brackets because I don’t REALLY have a time goal, this being my first half. I don’t want to put an exorbitant amount of pressure on myself seeing as I have never run further than 6.2 miles. However, given my average pace and running experience a half under two hours should not really be all that difficult. But as long as I finish a half marathon in 2014, I will be thrilled.
- Prioritize the blog: As I’m sure you know, I’ve been in and out far too much for my liking. This is something I am really passionate about, and I want to commit myself into turning this blog into something truly fantastic.
- Read 100 books: This is an aspect of myself that I’m not sure how much I’ve talked about, but I am a huge bookworm. I had heard of other people reading 100 books in a year and dismissed it as “too hard”. I was in school, not to mention dividing my time between a hundred different extracurriculars! 100 books was simply not possible. I searched for another “meaningful” number, and then realized I was being entirely rediculous. So I set a goal to read 100 books in 2014. I currently have five on the go, so we will see where this takes me. 😉
- Graduate Summa Cum Laude: In my school, this means an average of 90+. I got it my last two years, and although it will be much more difficult this year (chemistry, I’m looking at you), I WILL be able to say I carried it throughout high school.
- Get accepted to university: I know that I will get in somewhere, but there are two that are serious reach schools for me. UBC and U of T are my dream universities, with U of T on top simply because of the PERFECT program – Communications & Professional Writing.
- Stay healthy: Don’t resort to self-destructing coping mechanisms and an deal with an annoyingly persistent little health issue.
I love that I wrote this post because not only does it allow me to see the things that I want to get done, but it will let me look back at the end of 2014 and beyond and see where I was!
What is your #1 goal or resolution for 2014?