Hola from Amsterdam! Hope everyone is doing well. 🙂 Today I have a recipe that is not only vegan, but gluten free and low in sugar! The small amount of sugar is actually the only ingredient that could be considered unhealthy, but since it’s such a small amount I don’t even think of it as that.
However, don’t let that deter you! I promise that these do NOT taste like the usual suspects, leaving you grumbling about fake muffins. Nope, not around here. These are nutty, dense, and moist, and will leave you feeling happy and perfectly satisfied. 🙂
Truthfully, I was pretty skeptical at how these were going to turn out, considering I was sort of going on a free-for-all playing around with flours, sweeteners, etc, but I am glad to share that everything worked out wonderfully! It’s also quite scaled back because freshly baked muffins = unbeatable. Feel free to adjust accordingly, for those of you with normal schedules. 😉
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 6 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (actually juice an orange!)
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water set in fridge for 15+ mins)
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 3 stevia packets (or ¾ teaspoon)
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees.
- Mix flax seed and water well, then put in fridge for ~20 minutes until it reaches a somewhat egg-like consistency.
- Combine oat flour, oats, almond flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large (ish) bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Combine orange zest, orange juice, olive oil, milk, “egg”, sugar and stevia and again, whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing until just combined.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Separate batter into six muffin tins.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Hope you enjoy!